Wednesday, August 8, 2012

What I'm Watching

I don't have a lot of time to watch TV these days (what with the whole opening my own studio stuff going on), but I have gotten caught up in a few shows this summer.  Of course, since I sent my couches off to an estate sale over the weekend, I'm having to sit in a straight-backed kitchen chair to watch TV -- not the most comfortable seat.  So I've been reading a whole bunch more the past couple of days.

But here are some of the shows I'm into lately:

"The Newsroom"

Ok.  I'm actually surprised that I really like this, because I'm the least politically minded person that I know (literally).  I get completely uncomfortable when people start debating news topics around me.  I hate awkwardness in any format.  But this show is so good.  Every episode makes me all proud to be an American, and it makes me wish my mind worked as quickly as all the different characters' -- the witty banter is fantastic.  Some people have told me I should check out reruns of "The West Wing," which was head writer Aaron Sorkin's other supposedly genius show.  I think I will, since I love this one so much.  (Warning: it's on HBO, so the language is a bit graphic.  So adults only.)





"Perception"

I've always been a sort of "why does the brain do that?" geek.  I really hated most of science in school, but I really enjoyed any psychological studies.  This show centers around a college professor (played by Eric McCormack -- Will Truman to all of us 90's "Will & Grace" fans) who has schizophrenia, but has been able to channel his disability into an amazing tool for the FBI.  He's able to help them solve crimes because his mind literally works in a completely different way than everyone else's.  I think part of the reason this show fascinates me is that my maternal grandfather also had schizophrenia, and I feel like it's giving me a small peek into what his life was (sort of) like.





"Bunheads"

I only watched this show because Holly Jo told me that the lead character, Michelle (played by Sutton Foster), had the kind of dry and sarcastic humor that I would love.  She was right.  Lots of great one-liners and wordy, snappy monologues.  I shouldn't be surprised, since it was created by Amy Sherman-Palladino, the lady behind another dear and departed show, "Gilmore Girls."



"House Hunters International"

I have about 34 episodes of HHI saved on my DVR right now.  Even though, in some ways, it sort of depresses me to watch all these insanely rich people getting to buy a dream house in a dream location and know that I will most likely (unless I win the Publishers' Clearing House sweepstakes) never be able to do that, it's also really fun to get a little inside look at exotic locales.  My favorite episodes have been based in London, Paris, Spain, and Australia.  Can we say Pied-a-Terre?

What are you guys watching this summer?



0 comments: