Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Born Yesterday

Well, ok. Let's get technical here - actually born two days (since I meant to post this yesterday)

...and 30 years ago.


Yikes. I keep saying it out loud when I'm by myself. "I am 30 years old. I am...30...years old." And no matter how I slice it, it feels weird.

However, according to my friend Lea Anne, if 40 is the new 30, then 30 is the new 20. Or maybe even 15. So I'm actually underage again. Which is cool.

I did have a fantastic birthday week, though.

I kicked it off by going to see my very favorite in the whole wide world singer, Imogen Heap (who is in her early thirties, single, and fabulous, thank you very much) with Ashleigh in Nashville. So much fun.

My sweet coworkers took me to lunch on Thursday, and even sang an almost (unintentionally) sacred hymn type setting of "Happy Birthday to You!" to me.

Lea Anne and I spent an entire day at the outdoor mall and browsed through my home-away-from-home, Anthropologie, until we'd seen every item. Then we met up with some more girls from work for dessert at The Melting Pot. (Melted chocolate? Yes, please.)

I spent Saturday, the day before my birthday, doing exactly what I wanted to do, which included a movie (by myself, with whatever candy I wanted), a couple of hours browsing Barnes and Noble, a couple of hours reading, repainting my closet doors a buttery yellow, and watching my favorite movie, "The Holiday," while eating ice cream.

On Sunday, I got asked out - not by my current crush, Cute Church Guy, but still. As Sue Sylvester would say "Not really my type, but I like that attitude."

I drove to my sister's house to hang out for a while, and then my parents came over and we went to her church, where my entire family sang some good old Southern gospel. On the way to my sister's church, Cute Church Guy called me to wish me happy birthday. Day made, thank you.

After church, my family took me out to dinner and brought out a chocolate cake (see picture above).

Along with the abundance of Facebook happy birthday wishes, I feel like a very loved girl.

And I'm ready to dive into this decade. Who knows what's in store? It's kind of exciting.

And on that note, here's my theme song for this year (and probably many to come). I first heard this song on the finale of "Felicity" (dear departed, wonderful gem of a show), and I immediately ordered the CD.

Best line (well, verse):

"I've spent a long time as myself, or the self I used to be. He was one in a long line of people imitating me...So just forget the things I used to say - chances are good that I don't feel that way anymore. It's hard to keep track, but there's no going back, since I was born yesterday..."

"Born Yesterday" by Mike Schmid

3 comments:

Jane said...

Great birthday! Great post! And 30 is flirty and fabulous. :) And sassy. You can take it from me since I've been 30 for a few months now. :)

Annie said...

Happy belated birthday! I hope this year brings a great adventure your way! (And I love Felicity. Such a good show... they just don't make 'em like that anymore!)

PerVinca said...

Happy Belated Birthday Amandaa!!!