Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Book #3: Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God

Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God by Francis Chan with Danae Yankoski

I wanted to like this book more than I did.

I heard Francis Chan speak at a conference last year, and what he said really resonated with me. He spoke of how hard it is to fully understand the depth of God's love for us, and of how difficult it is to let go of past mistakes and regrets. After he spoke, I bought his book from the merchandise section on the lower level of the civic center where the conference was being held.

I had hoped the book would be similar to Chan's message at the conference. Instead, the book pretty much soley focuses on how Chan thinks that if you are truly a Christian, you should be giving almost all your money to the church and if you have any luxuries at all, you should give them up. Immediately.

Now don't misunderstand me here. I think tithing is essential to a healthy Christian lifestyle. I agree that the more you give of your time, money, and self, the more blessed you are. I believe that a true Christian should joyfully do all of these things. But after chapter three, I was tired of hearing Chan rephrase the same thought.

He's also a pretty big tooter of his own horn. He gives example after example of how blessed he is because he's given this much money here, this much money there, downsized his house, how much his church gives to charities, etc. Please. Even most of the examples of Godly people seem to be from his church.

There were a few thought-provoking statements, but on the whole - I was disappointed. It wasn't a book about how much God loves us, but more a book about how much God loves you if you behave exactly like Francis Chan.

0 comments: