Thursday, May 15, 2014

April Reading Recap

1.  The Best Horror Stories of the Year: Volume 4 edited by Ellen Datlow

Meh. Some of the stories were pretty scary, especially Stephen King's "The Little Green God of Agony" and "Black Feathers" by Allison Littlewood. But for the most part, I thought they were more weird than scary.
 
*There's no accompanying picture with this one, because hey, guys - I just realized there's a naked lady in a shroud hovering in the background on the cover.  Toooootally didn't notice that when I bought it.
 
 
 
2.  The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford
 
This book is subtly haunting. When I first started reading it, I thought it was just a glimpse of the apathetically rich society in 1930s England, but after finishing it, I've changed my mind. While much of the book is amusing, there is a tinge of melancholy and regret throughout it. Based a great deal on Mitford's own life, this story left me feeling weirdly sad for her and slightly nostalgic for a time I never lived in.
 
 


3.  The Museum of Extraordinary Things by Alice Hoffman
 
This could have been so much better. I love the setting and the general plot, but there was so much detail about animals dying (yes, it was true, but still - ugh) that I couldn't enjoy the story.

1 comments:

Caigicungre.com.vn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.