Thursday, August 19, 2010

Book #17: The Strain

The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro & Chuck Hogan


I love a good vampire story - emphasis on the word good.

My mom actually gave this book to me after she read it (I get my love of all things spooky from her), and when I looked at the cover I realized that the co-author, Guillermo Del Toro, is the director of the fantastically creepy "Pan's Labryinth," and what is quite possibly the most terrifying movie I've ever seen, "The Devil's Backbone."

This book reads just like a blockbuster Hollywood movie, in the best way possible. In a twist on the classic vampire tale, in this plot, if a person is bitten by these vampires, they are actually infected with a virus that takes their bodies and minds over and then they in turn begin biting people, etc. Before you know it, the whole neighborhood, city, country, world...all infected. I was reminded of the Stephen King classic, The Stand, several times throughout a lot of the book.

I hope it becomes a movie. If it does, I'll wear a turtleneck to go see it. Got to protect the old neck, you know...

2 comments:

Jane said...

You are so funny. The first time I watched a vampire movie, I slept with the covers up around my neck... in Panama City, FL...in the summer time. My parents would come in my room and remove the covers because I'd be drenched in sweat. CRAZY!

Anonymous said...

Just the cover of this book is scary enough for me to never want to open it up.

Ashleigh