Thursday, April 7, 2011

Book #9: The Woman in Black

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill

This was one of the books that Amazon recommends after you've ordered other books in the same genre. Normally I don't pay much attention, but the title grabbed my interest. Reviewers consistently said it was a great "classic" ghost story. I love classic ghost stories. One reviewer said "if you liked the film 'The Others,' then you will love this book."


Sold. I love "The Others."


It was a really quick read - just an hour or so - but oooh, it's chill-inspiring. The main character, Arthur Kipps, is sent to a remote English town to settle the will of a reclusive woman who lived in a house practically in the middle of a marsh. At the woman's funeral, he sees an emaciated woman dressed in black sitting in the back of the church. He sees her again at the graveside service, and initially feels sorry for her, since she looks so pitiful.


That doesn't last long.


I don't want to give away the plot, but I got satisfactory shivers throughout the story. Evidently, there's a new movie version coming out this year with Daniel Radcliffe (of "Harry Potter" fame) playing Arthur Kipps. From the movie stills I found on Google, it looks pretty good. And when did Harry Potter get so British-ly handsome?



0 comments: