Monday, April 12, 2010

The Shoush Song

Normally I enjoy teaching preschool music classes.

Normally.

Today I made the mistake of asking a class of three-year-olds which songs they'd like to sing. Everything was going fine, until I got to a normally angelic child, C. Here's a play-by-play of a huge downward spiral:

Me: C., what song do YOU want to sing?

C.: The Shoush song.

Me: The Shoush song? Um...

C.: The Shoush song. The Shoush song.

Me, confused: The church song?

C., voice rising a little higher: NO! The Shoush song!

J., another little girl in class: Miss Amanda - I have no idea what he's saying.

C., getting teary-eyed: YOU KNOW! The Shoush song! The Shoush song! The Shoush song!

Me: Ok, C., calm down a little bit, ok? Let's sing another song, how about that? How about "In a Cabin"?

C., now out-and-out crying: NO! NO! NO! The Shoush sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong (this last said in a high-pitched whine)!

Me, getting a little stern: I'm sorry, C., but I don't know that song. Let's sing another song. It's really nothing to cry about.

At this point, C. begins to literally scream and climbs out of his chair and begins to kick his legs and wave his arms, all the while wailing "THE SHOUSH SONG! THE SHOUSH SONG! NO OTHER SONGS! JUST THE SHOUSH SONG!"

No matter what I attempted to sing with the kids, C. was determined to out-scream my singing.

I finally had to go get his teacher, who had to pick his deadweight screaming body off the floor and lug him to his classroom.

Afterwards, a lady said to me "Aren't those kids adorable?"

I smiled and said "Oh, yes," but what I was REALLY thinking was "Sure, they're adorable - if you think Satan is adorable."

This is how I know I'm not ready for kids of my own.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kangaroo song! Kangaroo Song!!! (a la Big Daddy)